Transfiguration Catholic Church was established on August 6, 1939 - the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord - when Archbishop John Gregory Murray appointed Father Cornelius Normoyle as our first Pastor. Father Normoyle offered the first Mass at Landy’s Café on Tanners Lake.
Our first Church was built on the southwest corner of Harvester and Ferndale Avenues in Maplewood in 1940. In 1953, a new building was constructed on the same site that included a Church, Social Hall, Kitchen, eight Classrooms and Administrative Offices.
The first Mass was celebrated in the new Church on Easter Sunday 1953. The new Church, located in the basement of the building, was considered a temporary solution at the time. However, due to limited resources, it served as our Church until 1986, when the first Church was built on our current campus in Oakdale. The School remained for several more years at the Maplewood location.
In 1998, the Church in Oakdale was expanded to double the size of the worship space, add a large Gathering Space, eight Classrooms, a Gym, full Kitchen and School Offices. At this time, our Catholic School was expanding from one classroom at each grade level to two classrooms at each level, so the new building in Oakdale became home to the fifth-through-eighth grade students. Kindergarten-through-fourth grade remained at our original location in Maplewood and became known as the “Cub” campus.
The Maplewood campus was sold in 2004 after the decision was made to consolidate all of our programs at our Oakdale campus. The final building project on our current Oakdale site was completed in 2005 to house our Kindergarten-through-fourth grade students and provide more classroom space for our Faith Formation programs.
Today, Transfiguration is home to more than 1,300 Catholic households. Our Parish mission has three principal dimensions: Sacraments, Youth, and Financial Stewardship. Through these, we seek to build a strong and vibrant Catholic parish for all of our members, to grow in their Catholic Faith.
For more information or to arrange a tour, please call or stop in at the Parish Office during the week or visit our Welcome Desk in the Gathering Space after any Sunday Mass. We can be reached at 651-738-2646.
Lord, how good it is for us to be here! Matthew 17:4
The Pastors of Transfiguration Catholic Church:
- 1939 – 1951 Father Cornelius Normoyle
- 1951 – 1967 Father Brian Keany
- 1967 – 1969 Father Richard Schmitzer
- 1969 – 1976 Father James Holl
- 1976 – 1981 Father Patrick Ryan
- 1981 – 1994 Father Charles Brambilla
- 1994 – 2002 Father James Smith
- 2002 – 2010 Father Robert Hart
- 2010 – present - Father William Baer