The Sacrament of Confirmation
This year we are introducing some exciting changes to Transfiguration’s Confirmation program. Fr. Erickson and I hope these changes will help our Confirmation candidates grow in love for the Lord Jesus and to be formed as active members of His Church.
The sacrament of Confirmation perfects the graces received in Baptism and completes the candidate’s initiation into the life of the Church. Our updated Confirmation program aims to provide our Candidates with the preparation necessary to follow Christ whole-heartedly and to actively participate in the life of the Church by emphasizing the unique role of Sunday Mass as the privileged place of encounter with God, for it is the “source and summit of the Christian life” (Lumen Gentium 11).
- Weekly Sunday Mass: instead of meeting on Wednesday evenings, the weekly time commitment will be Sunday Mass. Here’s how it will work:
- Candidates (and their family) can attend any of the weekend Masses here at Transfiguration (Sat. 5:00pm, Sun. 8:30am, 10:30am, and 6:00pm).
- Following each Mass Confirmation candidates will have a quick 10-minute check-in meeting with their small groups to share an insight they gained from Mass.
- I know flexibility is important, so you don’t need to attend the same Mass each week. We’ll use the same meeting rooms for each Mass, so candidates can go to the small group following any Mass.
- Formation Mornings (once per month):
- Once per month Confirmation candidates and their families will join all our Family Formation families for a Sunday morning formation session from 9:30AM-10:30AM.
- These mornings of formation will include a large-group talk on a particular aspect of the Faith.
- Confirmation candidates and their parents should attend these mornings together. Sponsors are welcome to attend any formation morning. In-town sponsors are strongly encouraged to attend the formation morning on Sunday April 5th 2020.
- Small groups will still meet following all weekend Masses on Formation morning Sundays.
- Sponsor Requirements:
- All Confirmation Candidates in year II (8th grade) will need to select a Confirmation sponsor by the end of October.
- The Church requires (CIC 874) that all Confirmation sponsors meet the following requirements:
- Be a registered/practicing Catholic in a parish
- Have received the sacrament of Confirmation and be at least 16 years old
- Be willing to take on the responsibility of being a sponsor (i.e. encouraging the practice of the Faith and providing a good Catholic example.)
- Beginning this year all sponsors who are not Transfiguration parishioners will need to obtain their pastor’s signature on a letter of good standing. This letter will be provided with the Confirmation information sheet, and will be due on October 25th, 2019.
- Service hours for first year Confirmation Candidates
- Confirmation year I: 10 hours (New)
- Confirmation year II: 10 hours
- *Summer Stretch service hours do count towards your service hour totals.
I hope that this new Confirmation program will be an opportunity for your children to grow in their relationship with God and to flourish as disciples of Christ. Please see the FAQ sheet for the answers to some common questions. If you don’t see your question answered please feel free to call or email me.
For more information on our Confirmation Program at Transfiguration, please contact our Coordinator of Confirmation, Justin Shay, at 651-501-2219. Adults wishing to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation should contact the Director of Parish Formation, Justin Kortuem at 651-501-2207
FIRST CLASS IS SEPTEMBER 15 AT 9:30 A.M.
Confirmation date is Tuesday, May 19, 2020